World Cup 2014.
Should I be interested? I don’t really like football, in Italy everybody is in love with this sport, everyone has a favourite team (usually the team of your city) and that’s probably why I find it so boring. It’s about 2 teams of 11 players each, kicking a ball (using only their feet), trying to score a goal. So what is so special about it? I prefer basketball, volleyball, gymnastics, skating and many other sports.
I think that what I find annoying about this sport is that there is too much business around it, players being overpayed, violence in stadiums etc…
World Cup is another story. I like it because it’s about:
- people getting together in the hosting Country (Brazil)
- listening to people speaking different languages
- learning about the hosting Country
- being proud of your own Nationality
- getting together with friends to watch the matches
- feeling closer to your Country by meeting up with other expats and cheering up with them
- listening to many different National Anthems
- learning the colours of many different flags
- answering your kids’ questions about it
- teaching your kids geography about the teams that are playing (for example:where is Brazil? is it winter or summer there? what’s the national dish?etc..)
So, yes, I’m watching the World Cup, as many matches as I can because the different time zone doesn’t really help with that.
Obviously I support Italy but I have sympaty for other teams such as Australia, England, Germany, Netherlands 🙂