The moment we decided to move back to Europe was also the time when we decided we had to explore a little bit more Australia.
Something we didn’t want to miss out was the desert, without any doubt. Which better way than driving through it to have a memorable experience?!
The first idea was to rent a camper but being a family of 5 and wanting cheap options didn’t get along well, so we opted out for an 8 seat-van and a tent.
Our trip from Melbourne to Uluru has been memorable for the following reasons:
- driving through 4 states with 3 kids and a tent; people’s comments “are you crazy?”
- driving for more than 5,000km in 11 days
- watching amazing sunsets
- seeing Australian animals in their natural habitat
- learning that the desert changes and can bloom during spring time
- having lunch in a roadhouse is a unique experience
- sleeping in a dugout: simply great!
- my husband buying me a pair of opal earrings, what a surprise!
- road trains: I loved them!
- my kids quietly listening to audio books for long hours drives.
You can read our trip day by day in the following posts:
If you’re wondering how much does all of this costs:
- petrol = $ 750
- 10 nights in camp sites = $ 638 (including the night in the dugout and the one in the cabin)
- hiring a 8 seater van = $1400
- food and extras = it’s up to you 😉